Malaysian Thrift Haul

When I was younger, I wanted to spend less on clothes to experiment with different textures of clothing. Thrift shops don't exist here in my hometown back then, except for one- the Salvation Army elephant store. My interest in digging through secondhand items began when I was in secondary school, where I visited a few charity sales that sell piles of books and never fail to pick a few before heading home; and I dug through piles of old clothing from my neighbours and friends before throwing or donating. That little excitement exponentially grew when there were a few thrift stores opened in town (I even volunteered in one before!). These thrift stores were concentrated on selling clothes; I would spend a day browsing through rack after rack. 

Youtube back then was my little cocoon where I would religiously watch thrift hauls after thrift hauls. My passion for conscious shopping becomes a hobby in hoping to find gems that are unique and valuable. I even have a list of thrift outlets around the world that I'll save up to visit in the future. Thrift shopping then becomes a trend where style bloggers are writing and promoting ethical brands. I read articles from Fashion Revolution and watched documentaries about the ethics behind brand transparency and the issue behind the collapse of Rana Plaza. 

Those issues involved in the unethical production of clothing are quite disturbing. However, through those, they bring consciousness to all consumers about our purchase behaviour while keeping up with trends. I find conscious shopping in my hometown nearly impossible, as most thrift shops ran out of business quickly and trends come and go slowly. (Hint: tips to thrift coming up soon!)
Nonetheless, whenever I am out of town travelling, I always consider thrift shopping the first choice when it comes to clothing articles. I was in Kuala Lumpur a month ago where I checked out two amazing thrift stores. I'll share with you the place and the items I got from these outlets. 

Jalan Jalan Japan (Shamelin)
This thrift store is located in an old mall. Despite the odd location, the outlet is fully air-conditioned which you'll find comfortable while browsing through the items. They occupy the entire floor on level 3. The items range from household items, toys, clothing, accessories, bags, and shoes, to sports gear for both men and women. The price ranges from RM1 up to RM20 for clothing/accessories/shoes/bags/certain kitchenwares/toys. All the items are imported from mainly Japan. You'll find vintage pieces, as well as branded pieces that are locked-in-box glasses. Cheaper clothing items are bound to have stitching mistakes/stains/holes (but some are in mint condition!). The pieces here were unique and wearable during the hot seasons. 

Skirts
Midi skirts- checked and polka dots

Dress
Short-sleeved midi dress

Tops/Blouses
Cute tops and blouses

Hats
Bucket hat

Accessories
Vintage earrings & pendant


Boutique
I consider small boutiques as a part of thrift shopping as well as selling pieces that are unique and curated.

Accessories
Thick gold hoop earrings

Blouse
Uniqlo gingham top


Family Bundle
This thrift shop is located on the left side of the busy road of Ampang (near the LRT station). The outlet is operated using fans. I suggest wearing a light T-shirt as you'll get heated up while searching through the thick rows of clothes. I find this outlet unique as they sell items from various countries such as Japan and America. All of their items are fixed at RM5 except for vintage/rare/retro pieces that can cost between RM20-RM100. Their clothing items are of better quality (despite being a few that have rusty pins and stains). 

Pants
Adidas track pants

Blouse
Floral top

All photos by Prisc

Prisc

Related Posts

Comments