Straws

Rattan/straw/woven accessories had been the limelight of the summer trend this season with all brands coming up with their shapes, sizes, and colours of bags, earrings, etc. It has been a hot minute since the sun is glaring out from the sky. Personally, dips in the pool (despite being an unskilled swimmer) and cold coconut drinks are an all-year-round occasion. That's the thought I had before investing in a wicker bag. I imagined myself casually strolling down the beach, carrying a wicker bag filled with picnic snacks and unnecessary pieces of jewellery. After reading that sentence, I believe you might have sensed that such a bag might be desirable but could you possibly get the most use out of it? My answer: YES.

Despite my answer is yes, I do see one weakness in a rattan bag which is the setting. Unlike a black bag, it is inappropriate for most formal occasions/weddings (except for a summer wedding). Rattan bag is placed highly on the casual side of the formality line. For most casual activities such as day trips to the beach, outings with friends, shopping, parties, daytime events and summer date night, a rattan bag can be your next essential go-to mini/small bag beside your classic one-tone sling bag. I chose a spherical rattan bag as I was attracted to the rattan-folding techniques surrounding the sphere. Since it's compact, it's lightweight and easy to carry around all your necessities (e.g., phones, lipstick, wet tissues/cloth, digital camera, sunscreen). I could see the worth of this investment as it can be styled on various occasions.

For this look, I styled the rattan bag with a vintage blouse (from my mom!) and a pair of white denim shorts. The white crisp of the denim allowed the pattern of the bag to shine through the outfit. I tied up the blouse for a modern and fun look. I put on a pair of good old converse to balance out the whites in the socks and shorts. Overall, a relaxed fit yet classy attire for both day and night.

Side note: Thanks to all those who voted for STYLES on my Instagram vote! As the winning vote, I will try my best to inspire you with more styling tips. Head over to my Instagram for more interactions like this so that you can be part of it (link below this post). Have a fantastic week ahead x
Wearing: vintage top, Cotton On white denim shorts, Bali rattan bag, Converse
All photos by Phoe

Prisc

Related Posts

Comments