Atomy Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++ | Review

top sunscreen for acne prone skin
Let's talk about sunscreen (after a 2-week hiatus from final assignments and examinations). I'm quite certain that you've heard about the heated discussions about physical and chemical sunscreens and which is best for sensitive or acne-prone skin. The most confusing part of the debate is the meaning of "+" symbols, numbers and abbreviations of "SPF" and "PA". Today, I'll briefly explain all the scientific terms before I jump into my thoughts on Atomy Sunscreen. So, my understanding (after hours of meticulous research) of sunscreens is as below:

Physical Sunscreen
  • Physical sunscreen is an ingredient that sits on top of the skin upon application and reflects or blocks the sun's rays.
  • Physical sunscreen is effective upon application.
  • PROS: less irritation for sensitive skin.
  • CONS: some leaves white cast
Chemical Sunscreen
  • Chemical sunscreen sinks into the skin and absorbs the sun rays and prevents UV rays from causing sun damage.
  • Chemical sunscreen is only effective after 15-20 minutes upon application.
  • PROS: more easily spread across the skin, wearable under makeup
  • CONS: cause allergic reaction or irritation to sensitive skin.
SPF
Sun Protection Factor- the number that follows is the variations of sunscreen, some they list as 30, 45, 50 or more. However, the number does not matter as the coverage is similarly comparable with just a 1% difference. The "+" sign is the amount at least of SPF provided in the sunscreen.

PA+++
Protection grade of UVA and UVB. The "+" sign behind means the strength of protection against UVA rays. The higher the plus, the better it protects the skin from UVA harm.

UVA
UVB
  • Short wave ultraviolet B
  • Burn surface layers of the skin
  • UVB protection is measured by the product's SPF


If you need more information on more variations of sunscreen terms, check out this blog: the klog

Atomy Sunscreen Review

Atomy Sunscreen is a Korean sunscreen that is a hybrid, containing both chemical and physical sunscreen. Atomy has no colour or colour options for this sunscreen. The one I ordered was tinted in a beige colour. It claims to be moisturizing and high in protection. The protection includes blocking UVA/UVB rays. Atomy sunscreen is not a waterproof sunscreen (it melts off when sweating), but rather a makeup sunscreen as it has a slight tint that covers the skin in the slightest invisible and natural way. I can still see the redness of my acne scars even after applying this, so you know that this product has a light consistency suitable for everyday use. The lasting power is medium since it melts off due to heat and sweat, but you can always reapply.

In my opinion, this sunscreen does what it claims to moisturize and block harmful rays. I used this every morning as the last step of my morning routine. It does not dry up my face at all. The consistency is on the watery side but the coverage is impressive for an outing that exposes my skin to the sun in the mid-afternoon. Still, I experience no sunburn or burning sensation on my skin at all. My hands without sunscreen application experience sunburn.

Another two amazing things about this sunscreen are the affordable pricing and healing agent for my acne. Towards the end of the day of my application, some of my smaller active acne dries up, and for those gigantic pustules, it creates a dry layer to be peeled and easily squeezes out the gunk. Hence, I am a huge advocate of using sunscreen every single day. This helps to protect my skin from further inflammation or infections from the dirt particles in the air. The notable ingredient of the formulation is Centella Asiatica extract and the physical ingredients of titanium and zinc oxide.

I have combination skin, and this works well. One notable ingredient that suits oily skin as well as Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract. Although chemical ingredients may irritate the skin, this one from Atomy does not do that at all, instead, it heals my skin. Do also note that this product contains dimethicone. I know dimethicone is controversial depending on an individual's preference. However, it does not cause any harm or block the surface of my skin. Rather, it makes my skin feel smooth. At the end of the day, you must remove the sunscreen.

The amount of product (60ml) is worth its price tag of RM40 (non-member, cheaper if you're an Atomy member). This one tube lasts me for 6-7 months with the usage of once per day. Depending on how much you use, I still consider this an affordable option if you're a beginner or are prone to acne.


The active ingredients are Octinoxate (chemical), Octisalate (chemical), Zinc Oxide (physical), and Titanium Dioxide (physical).

The non-active ingredients are: water, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, dipropylene glycol, butyloctyl salicylate, dicaprylyl carbonate, peg-10 dimethicone, disteardimonium hectorite, portulaca oleracea extract, magnesium sulfate, dimethicone, aluminium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, aluminium stearate, fragrance, triethoxycaprylylsilane, methicone, caprylyl glycol, glyceryl caprylate, stearic acid, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, camellia sinensis leaf extract, thymus vulgaris (thyme) oil, althaea officinalis leaf/root extract, melissa officinalis extract, borago officinalis extract, centella asiatica extract, jasminum officinale (jasmine) extract, perilla ocymoides leaf extract

Full list of the pros and cons of the ingredients listed above, do check out: skincharima


How I use sunscreen:
  • Squeeze out a full finger of sunscreen.
  • Divide the paste and apply it to 4 parts (both cheeks, forehead and chin, nose) of my face.
  • Gently in stroke-down motion, glide the sunscreen downward on my face. The gliding down motion enables the rays from above to bounce off the rays. 
  • Reapply if you sweat. Reapplication recommended is every 2-3 hours. However, if I'm lazy or staying at home, I only apply once. 
  • Remember always to remove it with proper makeup removal and double cleanse as sunscreen is also a type of makeup.
  • Wears sunscreen every day, so essential to avoid hyperpigmentation!


You can check out Atomy Malaysia's website for similar sunscreen (they have other sunscreen options as well): atomy

It's important to wear sunscreen all day every day, no matter which season or whether you experience it indoors or outdoors, you need to protect your skin with sunscreen. Hope this entry helps as I do know the struggle of finding the right sunscreen, especially for sensitive and acne-prone skin. Do check this out if you're considering one. If you have any more questions, do comment below, and I'll answer you soon x 

All photos by Prisc

Prisc

Related Posts

Comments

  1. Hi. Can i have your review about this suncreen and post them at my twitter. I will put on credit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii there, thank you for reading ;)
      Feel free to share this link with credit, however, you may not change any content or use photos without permission x
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I really love Atomy Sunscreen SPF 50+ PA+++. It is suitable for me since I have a sensitive skin. I've been using it for quite some time. You can also check AtomyBenefits.com for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love Atomy Sunscreen SPF 50+ PA+++. It is suitable for me since I have a sensitive skin. I've been using it for quite some time. You can also check AtomyBenefits.com for more information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that! I do have to agree that this suits sensitive skin ;)

      Delete
  4. Some of your info are wrong, physical (mineral) sunscreen offers protection as soon as it is applied whereas chemical sunscreen takes time because it need to be absorbed into the skin before being able to filter the UV radiation.
    https://www.drdesjarlais.com/protecting-your-skin/chemical-vs-physical-mineral-sunscreens-pros-and-cons/

    Besides, physical sunscreen (zinc and titanium oxide) are the one that provide more protection from UVA not the chemical ones. In fact, they can cover both UVA and UVB. that's why some physical sunscreen can have SPF protection despite having only zinc and titanium oxide.
    Octinoxate and Octisalate can only cover UVB radiation. But as you said, UVA is the one that penetrates into the deeper layer of skin, hence it's the physical sunscreen that provide more protection against aging.
    you can check on http://cosdna.com/
    chemical sunscreen does provide protection against sunburn because sunburn only appears at the level of epidermal layer which is mostly caused by UVB.



    Furthermore, the reason that chemical sunscreen is irritating is because they absorb the radiation (instead of reflecting them like physical ones) and turn the radiation to heat that is released from skin. They also increase release of free radicals after exposure to sun and also disrupt the hormone. Thus, they are usually not recommended to those who really have sensitive skin problems such as rosacea.
    https://www.colorescience.com/blogs/learn/how-does-sunscreen-work-to-protect-your-skin#:~:text=Chemical%20sunscreens%20contain%20organic%20compounds,against%20one%20or%20the%20other.

    So that's the reason why physical (mineral) sunscreen are generally preferred over the chemical ones. Of course, physical sunscreen has its downside too such as more expensive, has white cast... but in the end they are less irritating as compared to the chemical ones.

    by the way, I think you should have done more research before posting anything like this because your info can be misleading to other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Thank you for your constructive criticism. I by no means a professional or medical healthy advisor, and I’m writing based on what I’ve read, understand, and experience. Hence, in my post, I only briefly note the terms instead of explaining them, which have caused misunderstanding. I apologize for my mistake in messing up the timing of absorption for a chemical and physical sunscreen. I’ve amended the info accordingly. In your second and third parts of your discussion, I’m not an expert and will not comment on any of it. I’ll leave you with a research paper regarding the UVA and UVB for sunscreens https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3543289/ I do find this research paper informational and helpful. Thank you once again for your comment, and I’ll do my best to learn more and provide accurate info on my blog. Have a great day ahead :)

      Delete
  5. Hello I would like to know whether Atomy sunscreen white or beige is better for oily skin??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii :) both works as great on oily skin (both the ingredients are similar)! Depending on your routine, if you're a person who wears minimal to no makeup, beige works great as it has some tint or colour to even out the skin tone; but if you prefer a basic minimal sunscreen base, go for the white! Hope this helps x

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing valuable information. I got so much important informative knowledge from your blog.

    Natural Sun Protection

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.성남출장샵추천
    안산출장샵추천
    용인출장샵추천
    가평출장샵추천
    이천출장샵추천
    일산출장샵추천
    파주출장샵추천

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You are so intriguing! I figure I haven't really scrutinized anything equivalent already.
    It's uncommon to find someone who has a certified idea on this point.
    Genuinely, thank you for starting this.고양출장샵추천
    과천출장샵추천
    구리출장샵추천
    남양주출장샵추천
    오산출장샵추천
    시흥출장샵추천

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the main causes of skin damage, prolonged sun exposure can have long-lasting impacts on your skin. Using Nimbarka's best sunscreen spf 30 is one of the most popular ways to protect your skin from the sun. It is a high-performance broad-spectrum sunscreen that blocks up to 97% of UVA and UVB radiation and has SPF 30 and PA+++ protection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Love reading your comments!