My Top 3 Affordable Lip Balm (Fresh, Burt's Bees, Crabtree & Evelyn) | Review

tinted lip balm natural
I always find myself reaching out for my lip balm on one specific corner, but it wasn't habitual for me to put it there. Hence most of the time, I was too lazy to apply lip balm- which is one of the worst in denying self-care. Lip balms are classic, basic essentials that anyone probably already has. Whether it be in a purse, work desk, travel case, or makeup desk, lip balms are one of the most accessible and convenient to carry around. 

There is a substantial number of brand names that produce amazing lip balms. In this post, I'll be highlighting 3 of my recent discoveries, or you can call them the "top 3 lip balms in 2019". I had been using these products for months. Hence I am confident in sharing my thoughts about them. The 3 brands are Fresh, Burt's Bees, and Crabtree & Evelyn. 

crabtree&evelyn
Similar ones (The one I posted is unavailable)

Jojoba oil (pronounced as ho-ho-ba) is known for its anti-inflammatory properties to reduce chapping and redness caused by drying. The Vitamin E and B-complex found in the jojoba oil help to restore damaged skin. Hence, it was a perfect concoction to infuse into a lip balm. The one from Crabtree & Evelyn is an essential lip balm anyone should ever own. It comes in warm ivory colour wax, which is convenient to use during the AM or PM. It moisturizes well during the day and does not leave any oily residue. This is especially great if you have cracked lips which require healing. 

Burt's Bees
Burt's Bees Moisturising Lip Balm

Burt's Bees has been one of the hugely hyped brands for years. I never tried Burt's Bees until last Christmas when I was gifted one. The vanilla bean is one of my favourite flavours (in general, whether candle or perfume) as it tastes just like vanilla ice cream. This vanilla-flavoured lip balm is undeniably one of my favourites as it is not overpowering but still gives a slight lingering vanilla smell on the lips. In terms of moisture, one swipe across the lip is insufficient, but layering does the trick. Usually, I apply it to my lips in double or triple layers at night, leaving it overnight and washing it off during my morning routine. My lips feel supple and soft afterwards. This is great to leave at room temperature as it is solid enough to handle the heat in Malaysia. 

fresh sugar
Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment

Fresh may be considered a high-end brand in Malaysia, but the price for the mini versions is comparable to street brands. I first and foremost fell in love with the smell of the balm. The scent was familiar, but I couldn't explain what it was. It brought back many old memories. This was the most moisturizing compared to the other two. It was slightly thicker, and a one-time application was sufficient. Fresh lip balm comes in many different flavours and colours. Sugar is a tinted balm and contains SPF15, which is most suitable to use during the AM. It gives a natural shine to the lips. I would gravitate towards this on a no-makeup day. I do warn you to store this in a cool area as it softens when exposed to heat (including indirect sunlight).


My tips on using lip balm:
  • During the AM: I like to apply one or two swipes of lip balm before I set my face. I'll cleanse it afterwards before applying any lipstick (this is a hack, especially if matte lip products are over-drying and crack on the lips).
  • During the PM: I like to spread a thick layer of clear (non-tinted/coloured) lip balm onto my lips and sleep with it overnight. My lips were as supple as a baby's the day after.
***

If you're still thinking of buying a small yet meaningful gift during the holiday season, why not consider selecting a high-quality lip balm? I hope this entry helps with your Christmas shopping, and don't forget to leave a comment if you have any questions! Speak soon x

All photos and edits by Prisc

Prisc

Related Posts

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Love reading your comments!