Etude House Soon Jung 5-Panthensoside Cica Balm (Soon Jung Series Pt.1) | Review

Cica, in other terms, the Centella Asiatica is a popular K-beauty ingredient. Centella has a long history known to calm burns or wounds while speeding up the healing process (source). With that said many roadshop (a term referring to a drugstore brand) brands have been producing their versions of the ointment made out of cica. I was overwhelmed by the variations which led me to watch Liah Yoo's videos to discover more about it. After a few cica balm ingredients cross-checking on the skincare product analyser, Etude House Soon Jung Cica is one of the top variations with a clean ingredient list. Although I've not tried other cica ointments, the Soon Jung 5-Panthensoside Cica Balm has won my heart as it dries my acne wounds overnight. Let's dig deeper into my holy grail acne ointment that I wholeheartedly swore by.

The cica balm is a Soon Jung series product which targets sensitive and dehydrated skin with damaged skin barriers. As the product claims, Panthensoside is one of the active ingredients that are responsible for relieving stressed skin whereas Madecassoside heals irritated and damaged skin. Aside from healing a wound, it hydrates and calms the wound at the same time. These properties are found in the Centella Asiatica. 

The product comes in a flexible aluminium tub with a plastic cap.

The gel-like consistency makes it feel light on the skin. It is not oily or watery. The texture is somewhat similar to a Vaporub.

After I cleanse and tone my face, I would apply a tiny bit to the targeted acne or wound. Pat lightly and smoothen the balm around the targeted area. Let it dry before applying moisturiser. I usually use this as a second last step in my nighttime skincare routine. I understand that some people use it after moisturiser, but my somewhat oily skin creates a barrier and causes the wound to flare up again the next day. If you have a similar concern, you might want to switch to using the balm before moisturising.

Ingredient list: WATER, PROPANEDIOL, PANTHENOL, SQUALANE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, MADECASSOSIDE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, GLYCERYL STEARATE, DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, STEARIC ACID, ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, TROMETHAMINE, POLYGLYCERYL-10 STEARATE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 METHYLGLUCOSE DISTEARATE, HYDROXYETHYL ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER, DISODIUM EDTA, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL

I was drawn to this product as it contains no dimethicone, which is an ingredient that I avoid for my combination, hormonal acne skin type. If you have a similar concern, you may want to consider this as I find it great for acne. The active ingredient in this cica balm is 5% Panthensoside and Cica. 

The great deal about this balm is that you only need a tiny amount for each wound. If you apply too much, it will only accumulate and cause another new pimple the next day. A small tube can last for up to a year (depending on how much you use as I only use it when I pop some pimples usually a few times a month during period seasons). 

I do have to warn you that it stings on open wounds, but it dries out wounds overnight and daily application allows the wound to heal and creates a scab. A scar will appear after the scab is peeled. However, continuous application of the balm onto the scar will slowly fade away. 

The cica balm comes in two volumes, the mini version with 15ml and the normal tube with 40ml. I highly recommend this if you need a simple ointment for pimples or acne. You can purchase this through Hermo or Shopee (Malaysians) / Sokoglam or Yesstyle (International)

This is Part 1 of the Etude House Soon Jung series. Stay tuned for Part 2! 

All photos by Prisc

Related Posts

Comments

  1. This product is worth trying. I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I highly recommend this! Let me know what you think if you do try it out ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad this helps, Elizabeth! Worth to try if you're looking for a calming acne cream ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Love reading your comments!