Supplements I Take To Help My Hormonal Acne

What comes to your mind when you hear the word hormones? I associate hormones with the menstrual period, skin conditions and moods. Hormones are amazing for growth and body development. However, I had an issue with my hormonal acne. Hormonal acne can occur due to various reasons or lifestyle conditions. Mine narrowed down to 2 reasons: gut health and sleeping patterns. Within these 5 years of battling acne, I found out that constipation and late-night sleep were issues that I need to deal with to recover from my hormonal acne. When it comes to health, my internal conditions are to be solved to recover from my acne. I find that my daily source of food is lacking in the components that will help with my constipation and acne. I researched and sum up these few supplements to improve my gut health and skin condition. (NOTE: I am not a professional doctor or dietician, please consult your doctor before you consume any of these.)

Here are the 6 supplements that had helped my overall health and body system:

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is known to absorb iron, wound healing, formation of collagen and improve the immune system. For those with acne, collagen production is important to heal the wound or scars after picking on acne. For a stronger immune system, Vitamin C helps to improve tiredness. My favourite Vitamin C is from the Atomy, which comes in a powder sachet. I would consume this on alternate days (as I find it "heaty" if I consume it daily), one sachet after breakfast or lunch. 


Vitamin B

If you're a student or employee at a workplace, stress can be unavoidable. Stress is one reason that causes the hormones to be out of control. Vitamin B and magnesium are great vitamins to support stress response in the body. Vitamin B is also great in improving energy levels and their production. 

You can read more about the Blackmores Executive B here. I would consume this only when I'm under high stress. 

Evening Primrose Oil

It's crucial to take good care of our hormones despite them being out of control at times, especially at the time of the month. Evening Primrose Oil has been a great help when it comes to relieving premenstrual syndrome and regulating the menstrual cycle. Personally, when I get stressed, my menstrual cycle can easily be disrupted. The evening primrose (a plant) contains Gamma-linolenic acid, which is an omega-6 fatty acid that can help reduce inflammation. It comes in clear yellow soft gels. I would consume one capsule after dinner every day

Read more about Vitahealth Primolin Gold.

Calcium

For those who are lacking in the consumption of calcium due to acne, you can replace milk with calcium tablets. Some may argue that milk does not trigger acne. However, personally, due to constipation, I can feel that my body is uncomfortable after consuming milk or dairy products. Calcium tablets do not necessarily improve acne, however, for overall health benefits, intaking calcium tablets can build strong bones. The Vitahealth Calcium 1000 is extracted from organic seaweed, which is plant-based. I would consume this after food, one table every day. 


Probiotics 

A leaky gut can cause tiredness or fatigue. Poor gut health can be closely linked to constipation. In order to improve gut health, I highly recommend consuming probiotics and probiotics. Probiotics are living bacteria that add a number of good bacteria to the digestive system. Prebiotics are plant fibres that act as food for the good bacteria in the system. The two main probiotics that are lacking in people suffering from hormonal acne are Lactobacillus Plantarum and Bifidobacterium Lactis. These two probiotics also help with bowel movement, in turn improving gut health. It comes in powder form. I took a sachet, 2 times a week in the morning, 30 minutes before food, with a cup of water. 

You can read more about Bio-Life A.B. Junior Pre&Pro.

AFA

This is not related to gut health or acne. However, I thought of sharing this for general health. For overall cell growth and cell regeneration, or if my body is suffering from certain pain or soreness, I would consume StemEnhance. Stem Enhance contains Aphanizomenon Flos-aquae (AFA), which is an edible aquatic plant that helps to maintain optimum health. It supports the release of adult stem cells from the bone marrow. Stress, poor diet and lifestyle can decline the body's ability to renew itself. I would only take a capsule when I needed it. 

Read more about StemEnhance Ultra.

Taking supplements sound simple and easy. However, the commitment to drink lots of water and sleep on time (before 12PM if possible) every day is the key to good health and healthy skin. Do let me know what other supplements helped you with your acne! Speak soon x 

All photos by Prisc

Related Posts

Comments