The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% | Review

I've read tons of reviews and testimonials on this product on the Internet. Some hated and others swore by it. I finally bit the bullet to try out The Ordinary as I was frustrated at my post-acne scars and hyperpigmentation. The Ordinary has been well-known for its simple and straightforward ingredients. The product names are all scientific names, which can be daunting for those of us who are unfamiliar with the terms used. It will be helpful to read the description on their official website as well as breakdowns on blogs and reviews. Today, I'll be discussing The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% & Zinc 1% serum. Serums are great at targeting problematic areas. 


So, what's so great about Niacinamide? Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3. In its topical form may help treat skin conditions such as acne and eczema. 

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% comes in a frosted glass bottle with a dropper cap.  It looks clean and minimal, with the appearance of a medical product lookalike. The cap is super secure and tight. Overall packaging is minimal and clean. The product labels are straightforward and easy to read. It comes in various sizes, and the one pictured is 25 ml.


The texture is gooey or jelly-like at the touch. It smelt like rubber or glue when I first applied the product onto my skin, but it dried unscented. The smell may not be pleasant, but since it's a chemical on its own, it has its own distinct smell. I am not too bothered by the scent as I'm more into the results it could provide. Despite it being slimy, it sinks into the skin quickly and leaves the skin with a smooth finish. 


After 6 months of application in my morning routine, I can see the difference in my acne scars as well as controlling the surfacing zits or acne. If you have hyperpigmentation like I do from acne, this works well in fading the dark spots. I can see my scars lightening. It does reduce the appearance of skin blemishes as stated on The Ordinary website. Since it has zinc, my surfacing acne has been under control and dries it up. Not a huge help in ice-picked scars, but with dark spots on those areas or right after acne pops, this product helps brighten the skin tone as well. 


Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Niacinamide, Pentylene Glycol, Zinc PCA, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Tamarindus Indica Seed Gum, Xanthan gum, Isoceteth-20, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.

Main ingredients: Niacinamide & Zinc

The ingredient list is simple and clean. There are no ingredients that will aggravate the skin, especially sensitive and acne-prone skin. Highly recommend it for those with acne skin conditions. 



How I apply:
  1. After applying toner & light essence in the morning, I dropped a few drops onto my targeted areas (scars/purging acne). 
  2. I gently massaged the product onto my skin until fully absorbed.
  3. Move on to moisturiser. 


What are your thoughts on niacinamide? Have you thought of trying it out? Let me know in the comments! I shall speak to you soon! Take care. 

All photos by Prisc

Related Posts

Comments