My P.M. Skincare Routine 2021 (Hormonal Acne)

After a long day off from work, I would enjoy a brief pampering session for my face. Gentle massages and pats on the skin are therapeutic and calming sessions that can be easily done at home. If you're on a budget like me, skin gadgets can be an investment that should be thought through. 

Why not start with a simple everyone-can-afford spa session with a few gentle massages and strokes for the face? You can have fun finding various massage tutorials that suit your liking on YouTube or blogs. Simple massages can relieve stress, improve blood circulation and most importantly de-puff the skin! I would like to introduce you to my acne-prone nighttime skincare routine with a few of my most fail-proof products when it comes to cleansing and restoring my skin. 

Step I Cleansing 

Cleansing plays a huge part in a PM skincare routine. Excessive oils environmental factors and sweat accumulated throughout the day will need to be removed as these can clog our pores and cause breakouts. I'd applied the double cleanse method every night. This is important especially if you wear sunscreens and makeup. 

The first cleanse is to remove all excess dirt and makeup on the skin. I recommend using a water-based makeup removal like BIODERMA Sensibio H20 Micellar Water for the first cleanse. 

The second cleanse is to remove any residue products on the skin that are not removed on the first cleanse. I recommend using a gel cleanser for sensitive and acne-prone skin. Gel cleansers like COSRX Low PH Morning Gel Cleanser are effective yet gentle on the skin. 

Additional Step: Exfoliating
Unmanaged dead skin cells are also a factor that clogs the pores and causes more breakouts. I personally exfoliated once a week and I've seen the difference it makes to my skin. My skin has become smoother and brighter. I just raved about the ISNTREE Real Mugwort Clay Mask recently and you can read it here: 

For chemical exfoliation, I would occasionally (a week before my period) apply it to my dry skin right after cleansing. I'll wait for the product to dry before moving on to another toner or serum. I recommend BHA toners to calm down the acne. The BENTON Aloe BHA Toner has been a great BHA toner that helps control sebum production. 

Step II Toning

Toners may not be an important step for some, but I find them essential as they prepare the skin to absorb the latter products. I've been using the ETUDE HOUSE Soon Jung PH 5.5 Toner for years now and it has been replenishing my skin from getting dry and flaky. BENTON Green Tea Toner is also great if you're looking for one with antioxidants. 


Additional Step: Masking 
For special occasions, I would mask the night before to get that plump and glowy look the next day. I've recommended a few acne-prone friendly masks here: TOP 3 Face Mask For Acne Prone or YADAH Anti T Mask

Step III Ampoule

An ampoule is a light consistency of a specific ingredient that targets certain types of skin issues. The SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Ampoule are great for calming sensitive skin and redness from cleansing or acne. This is not a necessary step in a skincare routine, however, if you have oilier skin or during the summertime, an ampoule is great to have for skin concerns. 

Step IV Serum 

The serum is a concentrated product that targets specific skin concerns. For me, I target specifically my acne scars and hyperpigmentation. I would use a Vitamin C serum to help reduce dark spots and heal my broken skin barrier. I recommend the MISSHA Vita C Spot Correcting & Firming Serum for those with acne scars concerns. 

Step V Moisturiser

I'm using the same moisturiser as in my morning routine. This is essentially important in the nighttime routine to seal all the products for maximum absorption and protect the skin. You can read more on my AM Skincare Routine

Most importantly, take your beauty sleep for the goodness of these products (or any product really!) to work wonders for your skin. 

I hope that this entry has been helpful. Let me know in the comments of your 1 favourite nighttime skincare product that you can't live without! Till then, take care and speak soon x 


All photos by Prisc

Related Posts

Comments